Skip to main content

Almost done here...then we can REALLY get down to business... (Day 13)

Day 13: Activity Rewrite your 3 life priorities from yesterday's reflection. 
1. My Family
2. My Work
3. My Health- not only physical but mental. Mental health is really important but where I struggle the most. A piece of this priority is fostering my creativity.
  • Look at priority 1: What is something you need to do daily or weekly to feel fulfilled in priority 1?
  • Take 5-10 minutes per day to sit and talk with the girls and old Wilson one to one
  • Less tv
  • Dinner around the table (Oh, also making dinner at home)
    • Talk about our days- high/low
  • Weekends should be less lazy- it's so hard because I'm so drained, but it really bothers me that even playing a board game is too much mental energy. We need to spend time doing something together- going out somewhere, playing a game, something, anything. 
  • Look at priority 2: What is something you need to do daily or weekly to feel fulfilled in priority 2?
  • Keep work at school- literal work. This is hard because I often have IEPs to review, emails to send, etc. Which should lead to:
  • Keeping on a schedule at school. Not allowing every little interruption to take up all of my time. Setting specific time frames and STICKING TO THEM.
  • This includes ideas for helping kids (visuals, worksheets, etc) and the administrative side of things (IEPs, schedules, meetings)
  • Look at priority 3: What is something you need to do daily or weekly to feel fulfilled in priority 3?
  • Stick to my diet!
    • Keep tracking my food
  • Cook dinner at home (or have Andy cook at home)
  • Prep meals for school!!!
  • Eat dinner around the table 
  • Start doing Yoga or walking
  • Spend time doing what I find creative and fulfilling at home
    • lettering
    • drawing
  • The hard part: Figure out something to do outside the house that will give my brain piece of mind
    • mani/pedi?
    • time with sisters?
    • massages?
    • hair?
Those activities you specify should be considered non-negotiables - because, remember, they help you feel fulfilled in the areas of life most important to you. 
PRACTICE:
Schedule your non-negotiables in your calendar. Treat them as an important appointment that needs to be kept . They take precedence. Because without them, what is work really for?
At this point, I'm going to stop blogging. I'm going to ignore honor but move past the anxiety I have being so behind on this self-care process (isn't it Ironic? Don't you think?)and get out the 6th!!!! planner I've bought this year (have an issue, I'm ok with it) and schedule my priorities RIGHT NOW. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

More more more (Days 11-12)

Day 11- Recap My recap: I'm fat, but I am starting to be more healthy. Day 12- Reflect This week we talked about SETTING BOUNDARIES. "A common feeling among teachers is that they are  "never doing enough"  - Can you relate? I'll tell you one reason why - In teaching, you could technically always be working! And that's rough on the mind." Oh boy! This hits the nail on the head...I am constantly putting the work I have to do on the backburner because I think I should be in the classroom (a specific classroom at the time) because it is basically on fire and the teacher is pouring gasoline instead of water. I cannot take a step back, even though this week has given me an inside look at the amount of shit this woman goes through on a daily basis. But it is also making it abundantly clear how behind these students are, and that there is absolutely nothing being done about it. Partly because she isn't trained properly, doesn't know the curriculum,...

Day 16 Reflection pt.1 (Where I realize that I still have no clue...) and Reflection pt. 2 (Where I see my improvement and set goals to help me) and Day 17 (then we're caught up!)

REFLECT: WHAT DO YOU NEED? Part 1 These are questions you can journal, reflect on, or talk through with a partner.  What are the activities I need to do every day to feel good in my skin?  Well the point of me doing this 30 day challenge is to figure this out! I still have not. What are the activities I need to do every day to feel good in my mind?  Listening to music or my audiobook has been helping me decompress on the way home from work...does that count? What are the activities I need to do every day to feel prepared for work?   Checking my calendar every morning. Keeping on top of what is due and when. My Things to Do list. What activities do I need to do less of to feel good in my skin?  Stop worrying and ruminating about what is happening at school/in the classrooms What activities do I need to do less of to feel good in my mind?  I don't know... What activities do I need to do less of to feel prepared for work?  I don't know... Par...

Washing our Hands: The Change we can Make for our Students

The time we are upon has given us the most effective way to PREVENT the dreaded CORONAVIRUS.  Wait for it... At the press conference given on Saturday with Mayor Bill De Blasio, with support from  Oxiris Barbot, MD,  the commissioner of the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, we got some innovating tips on how to prevent the spread of COVID-19 in our city..our state...or you know, the world.  " New Yorkers should continue to exercise basic precautions while going about their lives: wash your hands, use alcohol-based hand sanitizer, and cover your nose and mouth when coughing or sneezing ." The gist of the message may blow your mind, make your eyes roll back, and make funny memes about how you are a trailblazer... hahahahahah, you wacky fellas, you! To get back to my point...of course I assume that people wash their hands. I make sure those around me, both children and adults, cough or sneeze into their elbows. We've all...